Monday, May 6, 2013

The Art of Arguing

 How many people has a person argued with?  I never thought that I argued much but lately my friends have told me I argue a great deal.   I always felt that my son who argued( or disagreed  or debated ) with me had  received this gene from his dad. But as I look back at my life - he might of just gotten  that gene from me.

I was the wild child of my family. My sister was the perfect student, the beautiful one, the popular girl,etc etc etc according to my parents. On the other hand I was in constant trouble. I believe environment has much to do with how we turn out. There are really no bad people -it's the influence around us that changes who we become. My sister grew up with our grandparents on my mom's side. And I grew up as a latch key child as both my parents worked. At 10 I was babysitting . I was also cooking at an early stage in life.  

I argued with my biology teacher in high school and was thrown out of class. But I went to summer school at a different high school and pulled an A in the class. I loved summer school because it was six weeks long and I took  2 to 3 subjects that were required.  During my school year I took the electives. Typing was probably the best class I took because it is the one  class I use every day. My school years will be another chapter .

Do we argue because we need to or because we have to. Is arguing really a form of debating?
Or is it an opinion?  The dictionary says to put for reasons for or against debate. To attempt to prove by reasoning. To engage in a quarrel. I married Lawyers. My first husband - we went to college together and married young(it was time when you couldn't live with them) and my second husband was also an attorney and  Traffic Judge.  So I continued to learn to argue with them. I listened to them arguing with either me, our kids or their courts.

As a coach I argued with parents and umpires(until I became an umpire). I argued with my kids on which part of no don't you understand. I still debate or argue when time arises.
It is part of us to do so and maybe we don't realize we are doing it.   Syn: argue,bicker,contend, quarrel,fight,quibble,squabble,tiff,wrangle  and to engage in a verbal exchange expressing conflicts of opinions.    I think everyone does this at least once or twice or.........................................!!!!!!
If you have not argued,quarreled, quibbled, bickered or engaged in a debate let me know? 
Because if you have not - I would like to know why. And what perfect world do you live in?




2 comments: